Whilst Kaimakliotis & Co are experts at handling Litigation - for either claimants or defendants, we find that in most cases, clients prefer to avoid this route where possible. With this in mind, we will firstly explore the alternative dispute resolution mechanisms (ADR) and out-of-court settlement options of Arbitration or Mediation for a quicker, more cost effective and satisfactory conclusion, before then proceeding with Litigation if the client wishes it - or it is deemed necessary.
What are Arbitration and Mediation?
Arbitration and Mediation are both forms of alternative dispute resolution with the same end goal in mind, but they also have differences. The main difference is that Arbitration requires a third party to review evidence in a case and impose a decision that is legally binding on both sides, and that is also enforceable in the courts. In Mediation, the process is a negotiation with the assistance of a neutral third party, and the parties do not reach a resolution unless all sides agree.
What is Litigation?
Litigation is the process of taking legal action through the courts to resolve disputes in the event that Arbitration or Mediation have not been considered the right course of initial action, or if they have not borne satisfactory results.
Services under Litigation cover all areas of General and Commercial Law, including:
- Admiralty Disputes
- Civil Litigation
- Commercial Disputes
- Corporate Litigation
- Intellectual Property Disputes
- Property Disputes
- Shareholders Disputes
Under these areas, there are a myriad of sub-areas, with Kaimakliotis & Co adept at handling all. Whether it is a company–to–company dispute or an internal one; issues pertaining to fraud, insolvency, minority oppression, or any other type of situation where disagreement has arisen, we have the means and the experience to facilitate a smooth resolution. Some of the sub-areas can include – amongst a wide range of others:
- Banking & Finance
- Commercial (company-to-company)
- Competition (unfair trading, cartels, monopolies)
- Employment Law
- Landlord & Tenant
- Minority Shareholder Oppression
- Admiralty & Shipping
- Contracts: Employment / Construction / Breach
- Bankruptcy & Insolvency Proceedings
- Company Winding-up Petitions
- Debt Recovery & Collection
- Defamation, Libel & Slander
- Discovery Orders (Norwhich Pharmacal)
- Foreign Judgments: Recognition & Enforcement
- Freezing Orders (Mareva Injunctions)
- Intellectual Property: Infringements & Passing-off
- Personal and Professional Negligence